19 Practical Ideas on How to Start a Business
How to Start a Business?
To launch a business, no matter how small, can daunt even the bravest people.
But it does not have to be a scary prospect for you because with the right small business idea, you can set up your online or home business, well, right away. You can start with the skills you have, and your passions can morph into a business that amplifies your strengths.
Now 69% of US business owners started their businesses from home, thanks to internet technologies, it is now easier to start a business than it was in the past.
Your customers are waiting for you online, and you also know where to find them. With the right ideas and business strategies, that dream business can become a real success.
These suggestions will give you practical ideas on to start a business.
1. Web Developer
Web Developers work to style, create, and maintain websites and other web-based applications.
Many courses exist where you’ll learn the language of website creation and may study the small print, like the way to found out handcart systems, security concerns, etc.
How to attract business for a web developer
- Get active with your social media
- Start networking at events
- Create free content and distribute to your network
- Use lead magnets to attract your target audience
- Establish a niche
- Consider freelancing
2. Bed and Breakfast
Do you have unoccupied rooms in your house? Are you near attractions such as a tourist area, sports stadium, or venue for a lavish annual event?
Or is your range in the country picturesque and crisp fall nights that would provide a tourist a weekend of peaceful living?
Use what you have and produce a unique experience.
How to attract business for Bed and Breakfast
- Blog on your website
- Advertise in travel websites, Online directories, Pay Per Click advertising
- Get quality ratings and customer reviews
- Use social media to attract and engage your audience
3. E-Commerce Business
E-commerce stores are a great way to promote what you know how to sell from your home.
The dropshipping remains profitable in 2020 due to the number of eCommerce activities happening around the world. It is not only rewarding but interesting!
Ecommerce and drop shipping profits have reached over $4 billion, which is a 7 percent per year on year increase for the last 10 years. So it’s a practical home business idea to explore.
How to attract new business for an eCommerce Company
- Tighten your SEO strategy. SEO is still one of the most effective and measurable ways to get noticed on the web.
- Build high-quality links, use social media platforms
- Collect email lists
- Offer discounts
- Incorporate advertising into your Marketing Strategy
4. Graphic Designer
Companies are inevitably on the lookout for graphic designers to assist them with their brand image.
The opportunities are vast from designing publicity materials like banners, posters, and logos to designing landing pages and websites.
To begin with, you can leverage graphic design software like Adobe InDesign or Photoshop to establish the foundation of graphic design.
How to attract clients for a graphic designer
- Word of mouth
- Have an explicit, up-to-date portfolio—and market it
- Blog and create content
- Write for others
- Keep your LinkedIn up to date
- Keep other, industry-relevant social media accounts up
- Network face to face
- Even if you have a home business, start co-working so can you get to meet other creative individuals like you
5. Event Planner
Event Planners exist to order the lives of others and ensure they overlook no detail.
If you have impressive attention to detail, are interested in making sure planned activities go hitch-free, expect show stoppers, and a master preparer, then event planning is an area you can use your skills to help others around and make a reasonable income.
How to attract new business for an event planner
- There’s a reason people hire you to run their events: You are an expert at what you do.
- Show off your expertise by launching a blog or using email or social media to share tips, advice, and your perspective on news or trends in the industry.
6. Freelance Writing
Writing services are always in demand, and writers are in tremendous demand. This is also an online business idea you can start from home.
If you’ve got a knack for crafting engaging stories and writing articles, then you’ll turn your skills into a lucrative freelance writing business.
From web copy, ad copy, sales pages, blog posts, and email newsletters, the demand for good content is huge, and if writing is your interest, this is a good time to leverage the learning resources on the internet and start earning. Experienced freelancers get paid good money to write.
You can also throw in editing and proofreading work and use the newest grammar tools to help clients publish and upload error-free work.
Freelance copywriting allows you to earn money from this home business idea
How to attract new business for freelance writer
- Personalize your cold calls and emails
- Partner with other freelancers
- Volunteer your services
- Search for opportunities on freelance writing platforms such as Upwork
- Use social media for advertising about your skills and services
- Write for a niche blog
7. Virtual Assistant
As a virtual assistant, you can work as a remote staff, providing administrative duties. A virtual assistant typically operates from a headquarters but can access the planning documents, like shared calendars, remotely.
The skills needed for this business idea are both writing and speaking skills, word processing skill, time management skills.
They set this to increase with the growing demand for more skilled VAs as businesses worldwide move online.
How to attract new business clients for a virtual assistant
- Word of mouth
- Networking events
- Professional organizations
- Project and outsourcing bidding sites
- Job boards
- Social media contacts
- Online and offline advertisements
8. DJ Services
If you enjoy parties, after-hours events, and nightlife, then being a professional disc jockey business can be a fun way to earn money.
It offers a front-row seat to parties and all the fun. Individuals and venues hire professional deejays to supply lighting, sound, and entertainment on a small or large scale during various events.
Starting a DJ business involves commitment, but it can be an exciting home business.
How to attract new clients for a DJ
- Getting jobs is crucial to start this business; otherwise, it’s just you and the equipment you invested in.
- Promote services among your friends and associates, also important to create a business website.
- You can also join local groups (wedding-related business associations) that provide listings to entertainers and service providers like yourself, connect with events planners, and manage relationships with them, so they enjoy working with you.
9. Massage Therapist
To begin this business, start by looking into the licensing requirement for your city or state. Then invest in a massage bed that is portable for when you have to visit clients at their homes.
Massage therapy business requires getting certified. Most states regulate massage therapy, so it requires a certification to become a massage therapist.
How to attract new business for a massage therapist
- Update your website
- Potential clients will search for a massage therapy business local to them
- Share testimonials from clients. Your current clients are your branding endorsers, advertise on social media, share content and video tutorials
- Offer loyalty and referral rewards to clients for referrals
10. Daycare Owner
Childcare continues to be in high demand, and a good daycare is hard to find. You can open your daycare and fill a need in your community as well as running a business from your home.
And, as always, confirm you’re complying with your city and state’s zoning, licensure, insurance, and inspection requirements.
How to attract new business for a daycare
- Use the right messaging to communicate with your target audience online
- Your child care center is special, and you love what you do; show this
- Build a website and blog on your website
- The tried and trusted way to reach your desired audience is through social media, ads, flyers, and other sources
- Optimize for local searches
- Offer enrollment deals, network with everyone
- Hold a daycare open house, and ensure to advertise this event
11. Career Coach
If you have some experience counseling, put it to good use as a life or career coach. Many folks are trying to find guidance in our careers — and finding someone with the time to mentor us are often tough.
Life/career coaches don’t come cheap. Still, they will offer clients the intense and hands-on training and advice they have to form serious moves in their personal and professional lives., sometimes everyone just needs some uplifting advice.
How to attract new business for a career coach
- Position your business as a solutions provider
- leverage your experience
- Use video to engage clients
- Find and create opportunities to network with other coaches
- Communicate your brand message confidently
- Become the coach you would want to hire
- Focus on lead nurturing actions
Photography is a small business idea that at first seems whimsical, like a hobby most people leave at that, just a hobby.
This doesn’t have to be so for you. You can grow your photography business by acquiring some skills in photography. There are many YouTube videos to help you.
You should also invest in a camera and other equipment.
A photographer is a person people trust with how good they appear in photos or to use visuals to communicate a brand’s message to its audience. Do not let your clients down.
How to attract new business for a photographer
- For this business, you have to deploy word of mouth marketing.
- Tell your close friends, colleagues, family that you are now the official photographer at all their events, ask them to tell others too
- Take your camera everywhere with you, well almost everywhere.
- Post on local Facebook groups
- Offer referral discounts
- Drop some pamphlets at an area kids boutique
- Offer to discounted photo sessions
- Offer to take pictures at the store launch of a popular brand in your town
Speak a foreign language? Start translation service. Your expert knowledge of another language can assist you to earn some money.
Translator jobs are always needed and in high demand, but high-quality translators are not easy to find.
You can land lucrative jobs if you recognize by combining your strong language skills with the simplest grammar checkers to ensure your written content is of the very best standard.
How to attract new business for a translator
- Do your footwork and promote yourself locally
- Sponsor small local events
- if your capital allows, advertise your translator services online
- Register at multiple translation networking websites, including Aquarius.net, Linguists.com, ProZ.com, or TranslationZone.com
- You can also start a referral program
14. Social Media Manager
Social media managers manage a company’s business and brand on social media. They answer comments, compile campaigns, and make content.
These experts provide both small and large businesses with the expertise needed to strengthen T their online presence.
You can start this business from the comfort of your home and deliver significant results to your clients through your discipline and good use of your skills.
How to attract new business for a social media manager
- Talk to friends and family–tell your story
- Use LinkedIn to connect with your ideal prospects
- Invite prospects to a free training session/ webinar on social media.
If you love to bake and come up with scrumptious treats, then starting a home baking online business is ideal for you.
How to attract new clients for a baker
- Tell others about your amazing recipes.
- Your first customers will most likely be those closest to you, friends, family, and colleagues.
- Use them to spread the word about your business by serving them professionally.
- Use local advertising to draw in people in your area as well. Advertising is usually well worth the expense, especially if you are doing it well.
- Create a pamphlet, you can also distribute it throughout the community, offer an opening special.
An accountant’s primary function is to review financial documents for accuracy and completeness and to make recommendations based on a company’s or individual’s financial status.
Accountants can work from home, staying connected with clients via phone or email.
How to attract new business for an accountant
- If you are active with a local group, offer to handle their accounting tasks.
- Volunteer your services for a couple of hours a day or month at the local small business development center or similar resource. The more people get to understand you and your services, the better it’ll be to seek out paying clients.
17. Personal Trainer
Not only has online personal training landed within the digital space, but it’s also now the foremost popular service our clients ask us to assist them with.
People have fitness goals to achieve and will get help from personal trainers online.
How to attract new business for a personal trainer
- Ask for referrals
- Guest blog for local publications or fitness websites
- Send weekly emails with interesting and relevant information, such as sports nutrition, sports tips, and wellness
- Engage with clients through social media
- Offer a free trial or discounts
- Develop a working relationship or partnership with health professionals
- Do not forget post testimonials on your website.
18. Personal Chef
We all like to eat, but few folks have the time or energy to cook healthy, delicious meals.
Advertise your small business idea to businesses and families around you.
How to attract new customers for a personal chef
- Use social media to advertise your homemade dishes
- Create a website
- Share recipes and cooking tips
- Tell people about your cooking
- Offer a wide lineup of dishes to cater to different tastes, and establish your versatility
Tailoring is an area of fashion that is wide, and each area is unique.
You can decide to be a pattern maker, sample maker, sewing online video courses, sewing machinist, cross-stitching, clothing alteration business, couture still finds fulfillment.
How to attract new tailoring business
- Use advertising to target your ideal customers
- Offer discounts & promotions
- Tailor your communication appropriately
- Offer unique & unusual amenities
- Leverage local events
- Use special events as an opportunity to cross-sell
We hope that our ideas will help you to establish a solid startup. Business is much like everything else – the most is making the first step.
You may not know everything as no one does, but along the journey, you will find a wealth of learning, amazing partnerships, and clients who are in desperate need of the product or service, just like what you have to offer.
Be considerate of your risks, and avoid making impulse decisions. When starting a business – give each step a rational thought, and base your judgments on actionable data.
We wish you well on your amazing journey!
PS: Do not forget to tune into our Business Podcast, which offers practical strategies and techniques to small business owners and entrepreneurs.
Start Improving Your Business Today!
Need our help in vetting your business ideas and their implementation strategies?
About the Author
Eugen Spivak is a multi-award-winning author, business strategist, and a business coach. Eugen is the founder of the Canadian Institute of International Business, an organization dedicated to bringing practical and hands-on business education for modern business leaders.